Monday, March 8, 2010

teaching homeschoolers

I went and observed in a home school co-op class this morning. Some kids came in late, some talked way too much, one didn't have a pencil. Normal 13-14 year olds.
I feel better about the longevity about this group, particularly since there is a possibility that the church that is .25 miles from me will possibility bu the physical home for this group. This church is considering using this co-op as its initial model as a private school, that I have long known they wanted. So...it could be possible to teach at the co-op then teach at the private school. Just a possibility.
I don't think it would be all fun and games, but I know what MY weaknesses are, and I know what to do about them. And they have nothing to do with math or science.

If I teach here, I will definitely teach Algebra 2. The director only wants me to teach one class because she doesn't want to overwhelm me. However, she has me on the schedule to also teach Algebra 1, and possibly the elementary chemistry class.

Part of me wants to jump in so I canmake as much money as possible, but I want to make sure I don't hate it. My honest opinion of MOST homeschoolers? They are underserved. I don't want to contribute to that. Also, I have to make sure that I don't use myself up-I have to reserve some of me for Max. I can't teach all day and then be frustrated with Max and his homework.

The money isn't great, but it is enough to stash into savings, either retirement or education. That is my goal.

2 comments:

bicyclerepairman said...

you can use the money to give to me in 40 years to keep me out of the garbage cans :)

Sandra said...

remember we will live together when we are widows!