Wednesday, January 20, 2010

what's left from 8 years at Electrospace

I posted this picture on facebook, I know. But I realized this morning that I started my "career" 18 years ago today at Electrospace. I started writing software for secure telecommunications equipment and went through various iterations of that job, from a "SWAT" team where I had to rush out to fix broken stuff, to software lead, to product engineer, to product manager, then program manager. Pretty fast pace for a 22 year old girl with barely any sense at all.
I became an engineer because this is what my dad wanted. I was very suited for it, and it served me well. I made a lot of money. I bought my own house. I travelled a lot. I had a lot of hobbies and friends. It was a really great job and I grew up into it.
Losing that job was really hard. Everyone assumed I would move to Florida with them when Raytheon moved the company. I still can't imagine why anyone would think that, much less everyone. I found my move letter recently. The pay was over twice what my pay was in 1992. But I was not about to leave Texas. I think that would have been really traumatic if it had not been for Larry. I was pretty busy planning my wedding.
After I was laid off, I went to Alcatel, and it was not hard at all to leave that job when Max was born. I have to wonder if it would have been as easy leaving Raytheon on my own accord (because of Max). I really hope so. But I got a lot of my self-esteem from that job.
It's pretty amazing how everything works out for a purpose, even when at the time it doesn't seem like it.

No comments: