Monday, January 25, 2010

show last night

So I went to the first Alf Laylah Wa Layleh Hafla last night. This is a monthly event and I dance in the next one.
As an instructor, I have to be careful to not criticize other dancers, so I haven't really been able to express my thoughts on the show. I don't think any dancers read this, and this is my outlet, so I feel able to talk here.
Because this show was 85% comprised of dancers from one studio, "the" studio, where the "best" dancers study, I really expected a stellar show. I was disappointed. The band was great. The costumes were very good. The dancing was mediocre. Dancing to a live band is hard, I know from experience, so taking that into consideration, I still expected more from the performers. None of them were bad, but several of them were average. I was happy that they weren't Barbie dolls, some of them looked older than me, and several were heavier than you would expect. I liked that this studio doesn't discriminate.
Also, the dancers were pretty snobby. I understand pre-show jitters and getting into a zone and maybe not being talkative, but these ladies were very stand-offish and not personable.

The whole thing with this studio reminds me way too much of the studio I was with for 8 years in Texas. The teacher told us we were the best and all the other dancers were bad, tacky, and of questionable morals. How I wish I could go back and leave that studio earlier than I did. But I learned a lot there, and not just about dance.

Anyway, my evening on the whole was fabulous. I had a great time with Emily, Jodi, Heidi, Laura, and Crystal. I got to reunite with Amy and Suzanna from so, so long ago. Several other friends were there. The food was good, the music was too loud, but teriffic! And the hafla organizer, was absolutely fabulous. She is THE entertainer of the area. I could watch her for hours. unfortunately, we had to leave at 7, when it was scheduled to end, because we had told our kids we would be home by 8. So we had to miss at least three, probably more, dancers. The final dancer was the instructor. I have seen her on you-tube and I know her reputation. Not upset about missing her. Amother dancer is not from that studio, and I like her personally, although I don't know her well, so I was sad to miss her. The dancer who was just about to dance right as we left was actually the one we really wanted to watch. I have heard of her, too, and she has an interesting reputation. Also, we were intrigured by her hair weaves.

So, I have to say, I am extremely motivated for next month. I need to remember that I am a pretty good dancer. I am definitely the same caliber dancer as I saw last night. I have nothing to worry about.

ooh, and I have a killer costume to debut! We will have to see if the color works on me in dim lights-it is gold. But in bright lights I feel like a golden idol. I love it!

No comments: