Monday, January 11, 2010

sticks and stones-updated

Give me a break.

In 2002, Trent Lott was trying to honor a man who had been a public servant his whole life. Sure, Strom Thurmond had it all wrong, running on the Segregationist party. I do not honestly think that Trent Lott thought that the country would be a better place if we were segregated. Totally not a good reason for him to be pushed to resign.

In 2007, Harry Reid said he thought Obama would be a good candidate. Sure, he commented on his skin color and used a word that is no longer commonly used in describing African Americans. So what?!!! Would I have said those words? No, but I don't care that someone else did, regardless of who he was. What if he said that Sandra K would be a good candidate because she had worked in a male dominated field and didn't usually talk like most women? Would that be a smart thing to say? No. Do I care? No.

I will tell you who should care. The people who elected him. First of all, they need to ditch him anyway. I think they will. However, if the people of NV want to be represented by someone who could be racist, or at least doesn't know the current terminology, then that is up to them. It is the responsibility of the ones represented to "discipline" their representatives.

However, I feel the democrats are hypocrits for not telling Reid to step down. They made such a stink about Lott.

No comments: