Until this week, I thought the only thing I had to look for in a good book for Max was a topic he could relate to or otherwise enjoy. WRONG! Maybe the books I bought were slightly over his grade level, but some of them he really wanted and they were recommended. So I bought the entire set of _The Diary of a Wimpy Kid_, even though I had originally decided against it. I'm ok with the fact that they are dumb, but the main character never does anything nice. He always complains, sneaks around, and makes bad choices. I'm going to let Max read these books, but I won't push it.
On the other hand, I found _Melonhead_ to be about a kid who made some bad choices, but he had remorse and seemed like a nice person, so I think that is a good book.
As for a book Max won't be reading, _Lawn Boy_ was something I was really excited about. It is about a boy who gets an old lawn mower and makes a lot of money mowing yards. But it also mentions how the previous lawn care man ran off with a customer's wife. There is reference to hiding the hiring undocumented workers, and a main plot line is fighting thugs who are trying to take the business. Why? Why did these things need to be in this story? Why did I pay $6.50 for it?
I will still push for _The Great Brain_ books and other books I liked when I was little, but so far, Max has no interet in them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment