Tuesday, September 1, 2009

boycott of public schools???

Obama is asking public schools to broadcast a speech at noon on 9/8. There are suggested questions that are given to teachers to discuss with the children before and after the speech.

On one hand, he is the president of the United States. So, I have a hard time thinking that he is inherently evil. But not for long. I am positive that he has an agenda that I do not agree with. I am also positive that he doesn't need to talk to my kid. Why does he want to do that? No other president ever has.

Obama was too busy to participate in the National Day of Prayer, something other presidents have done since its inception. He was also too busy to recognize the thousands of motorcyclists on Memorial Day as they rode past the Vietnam Wall, also something the other presidents have always done. Yet he has time to disrupt what is the first day of school for our county and many others across the nation.

When we go to the Open House at school this week, I will be asking the teacher and the principal both if the school is participating in this. I will not keep Max home from school, of course. He is Mr. Perfect Attendance, and I wouldn't do that, anyway. But I would consider taking him to lunch, or maybe just coming into the class room, if I can finagle it.

I feel so weird about this. It shouldn't be a problem that the president wants to talk to the school children. Maybe if there was a set agenda like DARE or literacy, platforms that some First Ladies have championed, I would feel slightly differently. Or maybe not.

Also, I find it strange that I have only seen this on some conservative blogs. Did I just miss it on the news? When I try to search for it, I don't find it on any news source.

2 comments:

bicyclerepairman said...

henry's school won't be broadcasting. he won' be brainwashed :)

Sandra said...

I am pleased to report that our school won't be doing it either.