Tuesday, June 8, 2010

preparing for a let down...

First of all, this day is so opposite from yesterday. I worked in the house all day long. Today, I took a two hour nap!!! Yay for naps! I think I have always enjoyed sleeping; have to ask mom about that.

Two years ago, I was certain that a particular church would take over the charter for my cub scout pack. I was devastated when they ended up turning us down. They didn't even tell us why. I asked my current pastor to lead a religious program for our scout group, and off course said that we would do it for all the kids at the church. He sounded very open to it. Then in an email, he said that a deacon would probably lead it. Ok, he's busy, I understand. I just thought they said he really liked kids and families. Now he said that the elders would discuss it.

I understand, they haven't seen the program yet. He can't trust my opinion. I understand that. I'm not even a member there.

This is not the only issue that I have with this church. I really like them and I understand that the physical, local church is made of men, and men are fallible. I also know that my expectations are super high. They are requiring people to take a membership class and to be interviewed before they join the church. Again, I totally understand that you want new members to be on board with the church's mission. But to REQUIRE it? Is it a country club? I have already taken the class, by the way. I thought it was pretty ridiculous for a 40 year old, born in the Southern Baptist church, Christian to have to take it; I would have taught it, and honestly, I would have done a better job because I would have been more prepared. Ok, that was ugly, but I really feel like the man who led it was not prepared for the first two lessons, even though much of what he said was later echoed by the pastor, so I know they talked. Then the third meeting of the class...he was sort of ambushed and I don't fail him for that. However, someone in the class was deeply offended and the teacher did not call him, even though the pastor thought he would. Yes, I would know if my phone rang. And yes, my husband is still mad. And I think he has a right to be, because a sensitive subject was ill handled.

blah, blah, blah. Sheryl is no longer reading.

A church body is essential to the Christian walk. I just don't know why I can't find one.

No comments: