Wednesday, June 16, 2010

now, what country are we in?

Let me preface this by saying that I have been ignoring politics lately. I still check the news, but it just makes me mad, sad, or embarrassed.

I did not watch Obama's speech last night, but I saw clips of it. So he's a tough guy and he's gonna make BP create an escrow account to pay for the oil spill damages. The government will control the fund.

Really? He's going to make them give money?
Really? He's going to trust his administration with said moneys?
Really? He thinks BP is going to have that money?

I don't know which one bothers me the most.

No, I do. It's the first one. Where in the Constitution does it say that the government can force a corporation to pay for anything other than taxes? To simplify it for myself, I thought of why we have criminal and civil courts. Even if one is judged to be guilty of a crime, he might still win a civil suit and not be forced to pay. Sue BP if you want. Don't say you are going to make them pay. Do it the right way.

Onto the last point (because the second one is very obviously a problem)-BP messed up. BP needs to take care of it. But with all the BP bashing, and especially with a moritorium on off-shore drilling, how is BP supposed to pay for it? I, for one, will not boycott BP. Perhaps they could have prevented this, but we still need them to survive to help clean it up.

Oh, by the way. 20 minutes? Obama, after 58 days, could only find 20 minutes in his schedule to talk to BP? Not that I think Obama has anything to say to them, but let's make it look good, ok?

No comments: