This is the way to do it. I loved every single kid at camp, and there were 262 of them. I taught archery to 262 kids and every single one of them, even the tiny ones, even the special needs one, kit the target at least once.
I was tired, I was hot, I was dirty, but I was happy.
I had to drive all the equipment to the range every day and pack the arrows up at the end of the day. The evening camp folks packed up the rest. I also stayed late everyday to let some cub scouts and some of the camp Junior Staff (Boy Scouts) shoot extra.
It was great.
Unfortunately, the camp director messed it up for me on the last day.
It's a big deal to "qualify" in archery. If you qualify (an arbitrary number of bullseyes, in this case 4) you are invited to come at lunchtime on thursday to test for Archer Certification. Out of 262 boys, 16 qualified. 10 of those boys were from my pack.
Apparently, that looked like favoritism. The camp director came on Friday and pointed out her kids and told me she wanted me to test them for certification. I told her it was too late, they had to have qualified by the end of Wednesday (duh, when else will we test them, Friday is a half day and most parents are there early to pick the kids up). She proceeded to ask my assistant and the camp ranger, who is my former cub master. Of course they all backed me up. She came back and told me that I had been unfair in that I had opened the range to some kids, but not all kids, after hours. I told her that I should have just shut it down then, since I could not have 262 on the range at once. She said, no, I should have invited all the staff kids.
First of all, the archery range was isolated. No one ever came and told us anything about camp. We didn't know there was ice cream in the main building, we didn't know that we were supposed to wear special shirts on Wednesday. How am I going to get the information out? Secondly, I don't want all the staff kids. Would the staff members come and stay with them? I'm not responsible for them. The kids that came were the ones who asked who had parents. Yes, most of them were from my pack.
As far as qualifying, there were two boys from my pack who qualified based on their extra shooting time and three from my assistant's pack. Regarding the extra practice that could have helped boys score higher on the test, that effected these five kids only.
What these kids received was a certificate signed by myself and my assistant. That is it. Maybe they had an extra 90 minutes of shooting, but they still earned it.
If I work my butt off all week, it is my perogative to allow nice kids with their parents into my range.
Also, this woman told me my junior staff wasn't working hard enough. They want me to move to BBs next year. The main reason why I don't want to move is because I love my junior staff and they worked really hard. Two of the director's kids work at the bb range. No thanks.
However, the twilight camp is looking good for next year.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
i like to kick the target myself
tell her her scarf wasn't working hard enough
Post a Comment